The Saint Francis and the Americas/San Francisco y las Américas (SFA) project is delighted to present its interview with Friar Michael Anthony Perry, Minister General of the Order of Friars Minor.
Among other things in the interview, there are insights into the personality of Pope Francis and Friar Michael and the relationship between them.
Also discussed are Pope Francis’s reasons for selecting Francis as his name; the pope’s relationship to the Franciscans and particularly to Friar Michael; how Michael realized his vocation; and more generally, his reaction to a few germane questions such as how does an individual realize her or his vocation, the issue of celibacy and catholic religious; the notion of the church as a pyramid with the pope at the top followed in declining order: cardinals, bishops, priests, deacons and the laity.
You may also be interested in the following three programs of SFA as well. They all have a direct relationship to the interview with Michael Perry.
- Papa Francisco y San Francisco / Pope Francis & St. Francis
Some of the visuals in the Friar Perry interview appear in this 60 minute SFA documentary. Brother William Short, OFM is a wonderful colleague of Michael Perry, and he was instrumental in making the interview a reality.
- Friar William Short: St. Francis in Europe and in the Americas, March 25, 2011
- The conference at which we interviewed Bro. Perry was titled Junípero Serra and Beyond: Evolving Franciscan Missiologies and was held on, Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2016. There are 11 presentations available for viewing, the first of which is Friar Michael A. Perry OFM, Minister General, Order of Friars Minor, “The Concept and Practice of Franciscan Mission Today: Lessons from Junípero Serra.”
Latest posts by Jim McIntosh (see all)
- #FriarFriday – Dignity for Los Desconocidos - November 10, 2018
- Revitalizing the Franciscan presence in Canada — Strength in numbers! - October 4, 2018
- New US Franciscans YouTube Channel - August 9, 2018